Main Street, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo
Main Street, Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo
A charming Georgian Residence
0.62 hectares (1.53 acres)
History of the property
This very fine residence dates back to the early 19th Century. It was built as a Rectory Residence for the Church of Ireland. The residenceTM first occupant when originally constructed was a Reverend Crombie in about 1813, followed by Reverend James Anderson who resided here from 1825 to 1863. Following this there were a number of Rectors for relatively short periods, until a Reverend Traynor took up residence in about 1880. He remained until 1925 and his tenure is the subject of many stories worth telling, including the RectoryTM occupation by the Republican Troops in the early 1920s as Ireland established its independence, while the Rector and his family remained and carried on with their normal lives.
The current owners acquired the property from the Church of Ireland in the 1950s and have been in occupation ever since, with two generations sharing the accommodation until recent years.
The Rectory, a quality period Georgian residence, oozing with character, style, and original period features throughout. Positioned on Main Street, sufficiently set back to secure privacy and generous light while in the heart of Ballinrobe Town.
The overall site of 0.62 hectares (1.53 acres) has a substantial walled garden to the front incorporating some period out-offices, together with a circular oen/out drive around a circular lawn, all screened by a 2.5 metre wall from the street.
The house is two floors over garden level, with access from the front at ground level via original limestone steps and through a period door with original fan light and twin glazed side panels. The garden level may also be accessed independently from a separate garden level at front and rear.
The main house offers generous, well-proportioned accommodation incorporating a large reception hall, off which there is a kitchen and study to the front, while there are two very large reception rooms each with bow windows overlooking the terraced gardens and onto the Bower Walk/Robe River to the rear. The main staircase is to the rear of the hall and both it and the landing benefit from natural light flowing from a large period arched window which extends between both floors. The upper floor has four large bedrooms, a cloakroom with WC and full bathroom, all accessed from the bright gallery landing.
Meanwhile, the garden level offers completely independent, self-contained accommodation featuring large reception room, kitchen/dining area, one very large en-suite and one medium sized bedroom and separate bathroom together with further store, wc and utility area.
The rear gardens incorporate a large area of lawn immediately to the rear of the residence, followed by terraced gardens which step down towards the Bower Walk and Robe River. The gardens contain a variety of fruit trees while the boundary has been planted with a mix of Oak, Ash, Sycamore and Chestnut. From here one can fully appreciate the rear profile of the residence, which truly demonstrates Georgian architecture at its best.
There are further out-offices and stabling to the side which also have a separate access from the Bower Lane, which may be utilised if so required.
Knock International Airport: 54Km
Galway City: 48 km
Site Area 0.62 Hectares (1.53 Acres)
Premier Town centre Location
Floor Area c. 350 Sq. Metres (net) plus Out offices: 113 Sq. Metres (Gross)
For sale by Private Treaty
BER G / BER No.113433148
- Premier Town Centre Location
- Site Area 0.62 Hectares (1.53 Acres)
- Oozing with Georgian Character and style
- Independent Self Contained Apartment at Garden level
- Out office and Stabling to the side